So, you’ve signed up with Energy Ogre to save up to 40% on your energy bills. That’s a great first step to keeping more money in your wallet, for sure. But, did you know there are even more ways for you to save on your energy bills every month? With the help of technology, your home can be much more energy efficient. These devices are a great way to really stretch your savings, leave a smaller impact, and enjoy the spoils of modern day technology, too.
- Smart Thermostats – You’ll never have to adjust your thermostat again, when you opt for a smart thermostat! These will schedule temperature cycles, learn your behaviors when you’re in the home, can be controlled from your smartphone, and even connect with other smart home devices. Program the thermostat to keep your house the perfect temperature while you’re home, while saving on energy when you’re away. This could save you some major moolah, especially during the peak summer and winter seasons.
- Home Energy Monitors – These babies are pretty amazing. They connect to your electricity meter to show you just how much energy your home is using. Even more, they can recognize and monitor each of your major appliances. That way, you’ll know exactly what’s soaking up the energy, so you can make the necessary changes. It even lets you set energy budgets and views your energy costs in real-time. Plus, it will give you personalized suggestions to make your home more efficient. SA-WEET!
- Smart Home Sensors – Have you ever wondered if your ventilation system or water pipes are properly functioning? If you aren’t wondering, it’s a good idea to start. Smart home sensors will monitor systems like water usage, smoke detection and air quality. If a system isn’t functioning properly, it’s most likely sucking more energy than it would normally need. Oh, and these will help keep you and your family safer in your home, which is a big bonus!
- LED Lights – It may be just a light bulb, but the cost can really add up! Did you know that you could save up to $10 a month or more, just by changing out the bulbs in your house? That adds up to a free Starbucks every month! LED bulbs use less wattage than CFL or incandescent light bulbs, plus they last longer. The average total energy consumption for lighting is 25% – yikes! Use this cool savings calculator to figure out just how much your home could save by switching.
- Low-Flow Shower Heads – Those long showers at the end of the day might be relaxing, but they could also be costing you money. The price of relaxation doesn’t have to hurt so badly, though. Replacing your existing shower heads with low-flow shower heads can actually knock off a nice chunk of that energy bill. This couple tested this theory and saved about 100 bucks over the course of a year in their electricity bills. That’s totally motivating!
- Smart Power Strips – When you need your smart home device, Fitbit charger, phone charger and coffee maker all plugged in, you grab a power strip. But traditional power strips are tricky little buggers, because they will often consume electricity even when you aren’t using them. The nerve of these things! Luckily, smart power strips cut the power connected to your devices in standby mode. Brilliant, right? That can save you up to 10% on your energy consumption! There are also smart charging stations that will shut off when a device is fully charged.
- High Efficiency Appliances – Oh yes, everything in your home is jumping on the energy efficiency band wagon. The next time you’re in the market for a new washing machine, go for an ENERGY STAR certified washer. That can help you lower your energy costs by up to 25%. Go for an energy efficient refrigerator that will use less power during peak demand cycles. Your appliances are constantly grabbing at your wallet, but now there are great options to keep costs down all over your home. If you don’t want to wait, you can purchase this neat MicroBot Push. It connects to old school appliances and makes them smart!
- Sprinkler Controllers – Keeping your lawn fresh and fluffy is always a bonus for curb appeal. However, you’re paying for that fancy lawn of yours by watering it when it’s not needed. Sprinkler controllers can connect with local forecasts (how smart is that!?), monitor your yard’s sun exposure, and even factors in your plant and soil types. Add that up and it will save you some green by watering only when it’s needed.
You work hard for your money, so don’t let energy companies grab it on payday. Using just a few of these suggestions will make your home more energy efficient. Even better, they will save you big money on your monthly electric bills throughout the year. $10 a month here, 25% there – it really adds up. Make your home smarter, and you’ll feel smarter, too!