In this blog, we’re answering the 12 most frequently asked questions we get from prospective and current members.
- What is Energy Ogre?
- Why do you charge a membership fee? What are the benefits, and is membership worth it?
- If I am in a contract, do you pay the cancellation fee to get me out of the plan?
- Can you tell me what your rates are or can I get a quote?
- Do I need to get services started with a provider before signing up with you?
- Do I get to select from plan options you find or do you automatically enroll me?
- Will I be required to pay a deposit to begin services with a new provider?
- Do the savings cover the cost of the Energy Ogre membership fees?
- When does Energy Ogre charge the first month’s membership fee?
- What information and/or documents do I need to provide to Energy Ogre?
- Can I cancel at any time? Will I be in a contract with Energy Ogre?
- Will I have a contract with the electricity provider?
The New Way to Shop for Electricity
The role we play in the lives of our members is an interesting one… and at times, what we do can seem complicated. Electricity is ubiquitous in everyday life, yet some people don’t know much about it —especially how it is made, distributed, and sold to consumers.
Because of the lack of education surrounding electricity, countless Texans needlessly overpay for electricity. There is a true cost of not knowing how to shop for electricity, and unfortunately, 90% of Texans pay that price.
People often ask us, “What does Energy Ogre do?” and a myriad of other questions about our business. In short, we’re an electricity management and customer service company.
Oh wait, you want the long story? Well, you’re in for a treat. Below, we’ve answered that question and 11 other commonly asked questions.
Energy Ogre’s 12 Most Frequently Asked Questions
Below, we’ve listed and answered the 12 most frequently asked questions we get each day.
1. What is Energy Ogre?
Energy Ogre is an electricity management company that takes care of all your energy needs. With our proprietary systems, we manage all aspects of the contract process and consistently monitor the market to ensure our members are always in the best plan for their home.
We get custom plans for our members based on their unique usage profile whenever possible, which means our members have access to below-market pricing that is only available to Energy Ogre. Basically, we save you time and hassle while reducing your electricity cost as much as possible.
Find out more about who we are here.
2. Why do you charge a membership fee? What are the benefits, and is membership worth it?
Energy Ogre does more than just find you the best deal on the market; we manage all aspects of your electricity service. We are paid by our members, so you can rest assured that we are always focusing primarily on you. As a result, we save you both time and money by doing the following:
- We actively monitor the market to ensure you are always in the best plan available based on your usage.
- We secure custom, below-market rates whenever possible for your location.
- We handle all of your electricity provider account-related procedures and issues to the best of our abilities.
- We stay ahead of your renewals so you will never fall out of contract and into higher, variable rates.
- We identify your unique electricity usage profile and offer tools to better manage your consumption.
- We provide timely bill and usage estimates through our “Ogrecast” program to help you budget.
- We’re also your consistent customer service, regardless of who your current provider is, so you can always contact us for anything you need.
Is it worth it? We think so!
Find out more about EO membership here.
3. If I am in a contract, do you pay the cancellation fee to get me out of the plan?
Energy Ogre does not pay cancellation fees. If you are in a contract, we will send you an analysis comparing the plan that you are currently in with the lowest plan available for you. The analysis will let you know if it makes financial sense for you to pay the early termination fee to your current provider to switch to the new plan.
The decision of whether or not to switch, as well as paying the fee, will be up to you.
4. Can you tell me what your rates are or can I get a quote?
Energy Ogre is not an electricity provider. We shop the market for our members, analyzing all of the available offers from hundreds of providers. Our proprietary technology systems find the best rates for our members based on their specific usage profile.
We are not able to quote rates or suggest plans until we have fully analyzed a member’s usage. However, you can use the free savings calculator on our website any time to get an idea of what you could be saving.
5. Do I need to get services started with a provider before signing up with you?
On the contrary, sign up and let us find the provider offering the best plan for you. We can even set up brand new electricity service for you. You do not have to have a provider or to sign up with Energy Ogre.
6. Do I get to select from plan options you find or do you automatically enroll me?
Once you sign-up, Energy Ogre takes over the whole enrollment process for you.
If you are not in a contract or almost out of contract with your provider, we will analyze your usage, compare it with the plans available, and automatically enroll you in the best option for your home. Plans can expire at any time as rates change every 15 minutes, so we work as quickly as possible to lock you in the best rate.
However, if you are in a contract that won’t be ending within 45 days, we will send you an analysis comparing the plan we have found for you with the plan you are currently in. Once you’ve decided if the savings justify paying an early termination fee, you can either approve the switch or place your account on snooze.
If you snooze, we’ll wait until your contract is set to expire, then wake you up when it’s ok to switch without an ETF.
7. Will I be required to pay a deposit to begin services with a new provider?
When an enrollment is processed with a retail electric provider, they run a soft utility credit check to validate your identity and determine your creditworthiness. If they cannot determine utility payment history or good credit standing, they may require a deposit to begin services.
If a deposit is requested from a provider, Energy Ogre will contact you to discuss your available options and how to proceed. You should disregard any deposit communications from a provider and allow us to handle those on your behalf.
For more information about deposits, check out this blog post.
8. Do the savings cover the cost of the Energy Ogre membership fees?
On average, our members see up to 40% savings with their initial switch, which is most often more than the membership fee. Your exact savings will depend on the terms of your current plan.
Going forward, we can guarantee that you will always be in the lowest rate available for your usage, so you’ll never be overpaying for your electricity. And we’ll be managing all aspects of your account for you, as well. We believe that is definitely worth the cost of membership.
9. When does Energy Ogre charge the first month’s membership fee?
Your initial membership payment is charged as soon as you sign up. You are then charged automatically on either a monthly or yearly basis, based on your subscription type.
10. What information and/or documents do I need to provide to Energy Ogre?
New members will need to provide the following information and documents to Energy Ogre:
- Full Legal Name & Contact Information
- DOB & SSN
- Credit Card Information
- Service Address
- Copy of your Most Recent Electricity Bill or Current Provider Account Login Credentials (if you already have a provider)
- Details of your New Home (if you are starting new service)
11. Can I cancel at any time? Will I be in a contract with Energy Ogre?
You are not in contract with Energy Ogre, but you will be enrolled in a contract with your retail electricity provider, as that is required to secure you the best rates and plans available.
We believe strongly in our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. So if you’re unsatisfied with your experience, you may cancel your service with us at any time by calling us at (832) 975-1000 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. However, also canceling service with the provider we enrolled you with will be subject to the terms and conditions of your contract, which will likely include an early termination fee.
12. Will I have a contract with the electricity provider?
Yes, we enroll our members in stable electricity plans that require a contract ranging from 3 to 12 months. These plans offer the best rates and savings outcomes for our members. The specific duration of the contract we select depends on multiple factors like:
- Current rates being offered at each contract term length
- Expected rates available at the end of the contract term
- Your usage patterns and response to weather changes
- Predicted weather forecasts and details for your location
- Other critical market factors
Did That Help?
I hope these 12 FAQs quickly and easily answered some of your questions about our company and the service we provide. If you have a question about any other aspect of Energy Ogre, please see our comprehensive FAQs section of our website.
If you’d still like more clarity about something, please send us an email at email@example.com or call us directly at (832) 975-1000 during business hours.
Other articles you may enjoy: